Skill Awards Assessor Workshop – Colours & Metallic
Course cost £15 for members , £25 for non member
The RCCC Skill Awards programme is designed to improve young curlers’ skills through a series of awards which become gradually more challenging. The programme is open to all RCCC affiliated members and is encouraged as part of after school and junior club sessions. Participation in the Skill Awards allows monitoring and measurement of skill proficiency that is recognised by RCCC.
Progress through the awards is determined by individual ability and RCCC qualified coaches will encourage individuals to advance to their next award level by reaching the standard requirements. Only approved RCCC assessors may assess candidates for RCCC Skill Awards.
The assessor training will up skill both new and current assessors with the knowledge to assess Red, White and Blue athletes along with Bronze, Silver & Gold.
Consisting of a 3 hour interactive off-ice workshop designed to stimulate learning through facilitated discussion and video footage, the participant will be up skilled to assess athletes involved in the Skill Awards programme. Following a similar format to the RCCC formal Coach Education pathway the workshop will be delivered by experienced tutors providing essential information to ensure all involved feel comfortable and competent at assessing athletes within the programme.
The course will cover the following key topics:
- The Benefits of the Skill Awards
- Role of a Skill Awards Assessor
- Quality & Skills of an assessor
- Principles of Assessing
- Providing Constructive Feedback
- Using the Skill Awards resource manual – detailed analysis of Metallic awards
- Setting up the assessments
- Examine the specific shots and tolerances
- Using split timers and lasers (Gold level only)
- Be at least 15 years of age on the day of the course.
- Have an active interest in Curling.
- Not involved in participating in the Skill Awards i.e. as an athlete.
- Please note attendees do not need to be a qualified coach however it is considered desirable.