Level 2 Coach – UKCC level 2 Qualification
Course cost; £85 for members*
*Please note a 70% subsidy has already been provided for UKCC (facilitated through sportscotland) to reduce the cost for all Scottish based coaches actively deployed within Scotland.
This is broken down as follows: £85 from candidate, £30 from RCCC, £270 from sportscotland (UKCC)
Evidence of membership number will be required upon booking (please note: Scottish Curling Supporters Members do not receive subsidy)
Course cost; £385 for non-members.
This course acts as a progression for experienced adult and youth coaches who have accredited through The Royal Caledonian Curling Club (RCCC) Level 1 coaching qualification. Through your work, you will be better able to develop core technical and tactical skills and core values in your players in an active, purposeful, enjoyable and safe environment.
The course has been developed and endorsed by the national governing body RCCC. Successful candidates will receive a certificate of qualification, registration with the RCCC and will be part of a team of coaches.
On completion coaches will be able to:-
- Deliver curling coaching sessions and provide direction to other coaches.
- Understand the principles of coaching.
- Know how to plan, establish and maintain a safe coaching environment.
- Understand how to plan and support the delivery of activities that are age and stage appropriate for players.
- Understand how to evaluate coaching activities and understand how to evaluate own coaching practice.
- Deliver a coaching programme using a range of coaching styles and interventions to meet participants’ needs
This course is organised by approved coaching centres and delivered by The Royal Caledonian Curling Club accredited coach tutors. It will last approximately 43 hours, made up of the following:
- A period of self-directed study both pre course and after the workshop programme. (3 hours).
- An on course learning programme with direct tutor contact time (18 hours, Day 1&2).
- The second phase involves a period of applied coaching during which the coach will have the opportunity to apply their learning and practise their coaching. This will be evidenced in the coaching logbook as a minimum of 10 sessions with 4 of the plans linked to show progression and planning (20 hours).
- An observed practical coaching assessment and reflective discussion with an accredited assessor (2 hours, Day 3).
- Coaches must attend all three days to receive the final qualification.
Each coach will have the full support of the coach tutors, assessors and 1:1 support from the Coaching & Workforce Development Manager.
This course is competency based and involves on-course appraisal. It involves both classroom and on-ice practical activities where coaches will be expected to participate fully in all sessions. A coaching session will be assessed on day two with a final 2 hour on ice assessment arranged with the coach and an independent assessor on day 3.
- Be at least 17 years of age on the first day of the course.
- Be a qualified, active Level 1 coach for a minimum of one year.
- Hold a PVG membership certificate with the RCCC.
- Participants must also complete a sportscoach UK Safeguarding and Protecting Children Workshop*. This can be either through the Local Authority or RCCC specific course. *Candidates are asked to register for a course prior to booking on to the Level 2. Please note that coaches who already have an existing certificate must provided this before the qualification is awarded.
Benefits of the United Kingdom Coaching Certificate (UKCC) format for Coaches
- A Scottish Qualification Authority (SQA) endorsed qualification on the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF).
- Enhanced coaching or teaching skills.
- A professionalised role for sports coaching in the United Kingdom.
- More flexible coach-centered training programmes.
- Sport-wide recognised seal of quality qualification.
- Provides a benchmark for employers and clubs.
- Qualifications underpinned by National Occupational Standards (NOS).