Coaching Futures Vacancy: Technical Development Coach
Posted on Friday, September 4, 2015 at 10:30am
Closing Date Friday 4th September: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a three year Technical Development Coach position, in the sport of curling, as part of the Coaching Futures project, supported by sportscotland.
The post holder will have the opportunity to gain considerable coaching skills and experience to enable them to share knowledge and skill gained at the top level that will have a positive impact on athlete performances. They will support The Royal Caledonian Curling Club’s Coaching & Workforce Manager in a technical advisory role to improve coaching levels within Scotland and will provide coaching and programme support to athletes within the Academy and British & Scottish Curling Performance Foundation and Podium Potential programmes.
In addition to this, the post holder will:
- Develop their own technical coaching skills through practical coaching experience, working with and observing High Performance Coaches within British and Scottish Curling
- Develop understanding of the complexities of the performance development coaching environment, working with a team of coaches and staff.
- Develop an individualised development plan and acquire a compliment of CPD opportunities to enhance formal qualifications.
- Work alongside a mentor coach (British & Scottish Curling Head of Coaching) for the duration of the programme
- Be part of a cross-sport learning community with apprentice coaches from different sports.
Applications are open to curling athletes who have retired within the last 5 years who have made a decision to pursue a career in coaching. They may have already embarked on, or completed a coaching course and taken a step into coaching, either in a paid or voluntary capacity.
The successful candidate will be ambitious and highly driven, which will be demonstrated with a strong desire and commitment to develop in a role towards being a World Class coach in the future and to improve the performances of aspiring athletes. Additionally, the successful candidate will have a strong work ethic and be capable of working as part of a team, but also have the ability to work independently when required.
Salary £25,000 plus expenses and pension
Contract 3 years (up to 30th September 2018)
Closing Date for Applications Friday 4th September 2015
Completed applications should be emailed to Nicola Glencross
For more information or an informal discussion please contact: Graeme Thompson (Performance Director) on 07776 160108
As the post will involve working with children and young people, the post holder will be required to undergo a PVG check.
The Royal Caledonian Curling Club is an equitable employer and welcomes applications from people from all communities.
Coaching Futures is sportscotland’s “performance athlete to coach” apprenticeship programme that involves former athletes taking on a three year funded coaching role within their Scottish governing body, whilst supported by individual and group professional development opportunities, a mentor and peer apprentice coaches from other sports.
The programme targets recently retired performance athletes with aspirations to develop a career in coaching and invests in Scottish Governing Bodies (SGBs) who can provide a suitable environment for the coach to learn and develop their skills.
The programme aims to:
- Support the difficult transition of our valued retiring athletes
- Provide a consistent influx of high calibre coaches
- Sustain and retain expertise and experience within Scottish sport